TheSportsCampus

The Worlds Favourite Playground

Friday, Dec 06th

Last update:07:30:53 AM GMT

Headlines:
You are here: Tennis ATP / WTA Tour

Tennis News

Entertainers Extraordinaire Leconte and Bahrami return for World Tennis Challenge

Henri Leconte and Mansour Bahrami are set to make their return to the World Tennis Challenge from 8 to 10 January 2018 at Memorial Drive. Leconte and Bahrami will join the field as wildcards for the event following the withdrawal of Andre Agassi earlier this week.

“We are pleased to be welcoming Henri and Mansour back to the World Tennis Challenge. They have long been crowd favourites here in Adelaide and we look forward to having them back next week,” General Manager World Tennis Challenge David Hearne said.

Read more...

Lizette Cabrera receives a Hobart International wildcard

Rising Australian player Lizette Cabrera has been awarded a main draw wildcard into the Hobart International. The 20-year-old from Brisbane scored her first WTA main draw win at last year’s Hobart International and is excited to be returning in 2018.

“I really love Hobart, I think it’s one of the prettiest places I’ve ever been to and it was a really special time here last year,” Cabrera said. “Winning my first WTA match was a really big milestone for me, and definitely a great way to start the year – so I’m really excited to be back.”

Read more...

Hewitt and Kyrgios to take on Dimitrov and Zverev at FAST4 Showdown in Sydney

Australia’s Davis Cup Captain Lleyton Hewitt (SA) will team with Nick Kyrgios (ACT) to take on Grigor Dimitrov (BLR) and Alexander Zverev (GER), in the 2018 instalment of the FAST4 Showdown, when the innovative event returns to Sydney for the fourth consecutive year on Monday night.

The FAST4 Showdown, which has attracted sell-out crowds each year, will be held for the first time at Ken Rosewall Arena at Sydney Olympic Park Tennis Centre on Monday 8 January 2018 during the Sydney International.

Read more...

Andy Murray withdraws from Brisbane International

World No.16 Andy Murray has been forced to withdraw from the 2018 Brisbane International presented by Suncorp due to pain in his right hip. Murray has withdrawn from the tournament, but will stay in Brisbane as he works towards returning to the tennis circuit.

“I’m very disappointed to be withdrawing from the Brisbane International,” said Murray. “I came here with every intention of making a strong start to the year, but sadly my team and I don’t feel that I’m where I need to be just yet to compete at the highest level. I have great memories of playing here in Brisbane and I have always enjoyed competing in front of the Queensland fans, so look forward to returning in the near future.”

Read more...

Rafael Nadal to play Tie Break Tens in Melbourne

World No.1 Rafael Nadal has joined the field for an exciting new tennis event in the lead up to Australian Open 2018. Tie Break Tens, which is effectively a tournament in a night, will make its Australian debut at Margaret Court Arena (MCA) on Wednesday 10 January boasting a stunning field.

Nadal will join former world No.1 Novak Djokovic, three-time Slam winner and world No.9 Stan Wawrinka, Australia’s No.1 male Nick Kyrgios, former world No.1 and current Australian Davis Cup captain Lleyton Hewitt as the headline acts for the unique event in which a field of eight players compete in a knockout tournament for a $250,000 winner-take-all prize purse and the coveted Tie Break Tens trophy.

Read more...

Christmas comes early for rising star Jaimee Fourlis

Rising Australian star Jaimee Fourlis (Vic) has received a main draw wildcard into Hobart International 2018. The 18-year-old from Melbourne is set to make her second main draw appearance in Hobart, having made her WTA debut at the event in 2017.

“It feels amazing, I’m really pumped to be going back to Hobart,” Fourlis said. “I played my first ever WTA tournament there last year, it was also my first time in Hobart and I loved every minute of it. I was over the moon when I found out, I had the biggest smile on my face when they called me to tell me I had gotten the main draw wildcard, I was very happy.”

Read more...

Teen sensation Alex De Minaur awarded Sydney International wildcard

Sydney’s Alex De Minaur has been awarded a wildcard into the Sydney International, joining Ash Barty (Qld), Daria Gavrilova (Vic) and fellow wildcard recipients Sam Stosur (Qld) and Jordan Thompson (NSW) in the main draw.

The rising Aussie star enjoyed a breakthrough season in 2017 that saw his ranking soar from world No.351 in January to a career-high of 182 in October. He reached his first ATP Challenger final in Spain in August and won his first professional title at the ITF Futures event in Portugal in July.

Read more...

Page 4 of 218