TheSportsCampus

The Worlds Favourite Playground

Wednesday, May 27th

Last update:05:57:36 PM GMT

You are here: Football Transfer News Atletico boss reacts to Zlatan, Diego, Saul and Hernandez rumours

Atletico boss reacts to Zlatan, Diego, Saul and Hernandez rumours

User Rating: / 6
PoorBest 

Spanish football giants Atletico Madrid President Enrique Cerezo said on Wednesday that midfielder Saul Ñiguez, whose performance at the Under-21 European Championship is rousing interest in other clubs, has a long term contract and is set to stay with Atletico.

Cerezo was speaking at the event to mark the renaming of the metro station outside Atletico's new Wanda Metropolitano Stadium.

The president, who attended the opening of the new station with the minister of transport, Pedro Rollan, said that the 22-year-old midfielder's only commitment was to the Rojiblancos.

He was also asked about defender Theo Hernandez, 19, who has suggested that he has always been a Real Madrid fan, fuelling speculation that he could move across the Spanish capital.

"Everyone has their own dreams. He is a great player, although he has not played much for us. If he is a Real Madrid fan, then until now he has been mistaken in playing with us," said Cerezo.

Atletico are not permitted to register any new players until January after being hit with a two-window ban for breaching rules over the transfer of foreign players under the age of 18.

The Court of Arbitration of Sport upheld the suspension earlier this month, meaning the club is unable to sign new players this summer.

"We cannot sign anyone until January," Cerezo told the media when asked about Diego Costa and Zlatan Ibrahimovic.

"A lot of things can happen between now and January," he concluded.