The Worlds Favourite Playground

Saturday, May 26th

Last update:02:45:38 PM GMT

You are here: Home News Bytes I-League: Aizawl FC beat Churchill Brothers 3-1

I-League: Aizawl FC beat Churchill Brothers 3-1

User Rating: / 0

Kamo Stephane Bayi scored once in each half as Aizawl FC beat Churchill Brothers 3-1 in an I-league football match on Saturday.

Bayi scored in the seventh and 46th minutes while Robert Laldanmawia (84th minute) got Aizawl's third goal right in the closing stages as Aizawl temporarily climbed to the top of the standings with 33 points from 16 matches.

Anthony D'Souza scored for Churchill in the 68th minute. Churchill are sixth with 17 points from 16 matches.

Churchill who got the first chance of the game when Meldon D'Silva curled in a free-kick into the Aizawl penalty box and Chesterpoul Lyngdoh crashed his header against the bar.

The hosts will be left to rue that missed chance a few minutes later when Brandon Vanlalremdika and Bayi combined superbly inside the opponent penalty box before the latter fired the ball between the legs of Churchill goalkeeper Naveen Kumar.

Churchill enjoyed quite a bit of possession, trying to hold the ball in midfield and looking for the openings. But the hosts were let down by a lack of quality of the final ball. Churchill strikers Anthony Wolfe and Ansumana Kromah also showed a marked lack of coordination.

Aizawl almost doubled their lead in the 38th minute when Bayi went past Meldon and found Mehmoud Al Amna in the Churchill box.

Amna found Laldanmawia Ralte whose shot was blocked by Churchill defender Adil Khan on the goal line.

Bayi scored his second goal right after the restart when he received Brandon's pass before beating Naveen with an excellent finish.

Churchill continued to press forward and Aizawl goalkeeper Albino Gomes had to produce two excellent saves to keep the hosts at Bay. He pulled off an acrobatic effort to tip Wolfe's header off Brandon's free-kick over the bar in the 52nd minute.

Aizawl had another let off a couple of minutes later when Gomes deflected Brandon's free-kick on to the bar.

Churchill reduced the deficit to one when Wolfe played to Anthony from the left and the latter produced a calm finish.

Robert put the issue beyond doubt when he fired home a powerful shot from the top of the box.