The Worlds Favourite Playground

Wednesday, Sep 23rd

Last update:05:57:36 PM GMT

You are here: Football English Football FA Cup: Manchester City thrash West Ham United 5-0 to advance

FA Cup: Manchester City thrash West Ham United 5-0 to advance

User Rating: / 1

Manchester City showed their fellow Premier League bigwigs how to treat the FA Cup this weekend, thrashing West Ham United 5-0 at London's Olympic Stadium to advance to the fourth round of the competition in the only clash on Friday night.

After a fairly settled opening half hour which saw limited opportunities for both sides, Manchester City took the lead in controversial circumstances as Pablo Zabaleta made sure he went over the trailing leg of Hammers defender Angelo Ogbonna and won his side a cheap penalty.

The recalled Yaya Toure, fresh from playing little football over the early months of the season, stepped up and converted the spot kick to put City in the driver's seat.

West Ham should have drawn level immediately but Sofiane Feghouli, sent off controversially against Manchester United in the last game, missed an open net that would have made it 1-1.

Instead what happened was a rout as Havard Nordtveit turned Bacary Sagna's cross into his own net in the 41st minute before David Silva tapped home to make it 3-0 for the visitors before half-time.

With the game in the bag it was only going to be a question of how many more Manchester City would score and the answer was two as Sergio Aguero deflected Yaya Toure's shot to grab a goal, while John Stones scored his first in a Man City shirt in the 84th minute to complete the rout.

The defeat was West Ham's biggest ever at home in FA Cup history as the new stadium continues to bring them anything but good luck.

A very disappointed Slaven Bilic said after the game, "The penalty was the turning point because we looked good until then. It was maybe a soft one. We had a great chance to equalise but we didn't. We made mistakes after the goal and started to chase the ball. Quickly it was 3-0 and game over. It's a very bad day for us. It wasn't good enough. What disappointed me the most is that we started to chase them all over the pitch and then conceded two more and it was all over."

Pep Guardiola meanwhile shared, "We were able to keep the ball more than the last games. We created more chances. Before the penalty we had three or four clear chances. After the second and third goal it was easy in the second half. It's important to win away but it's not easy."

City have thus thrown their name in the pot for the draw for the fourth round that will take place on Monday, and will switch their attention back to the Premier League for a tough away trip to Everton next weekend.

West Ham meanwhile have yet another home game to look forward to against fellow Londoners Crystal Palace, with the Hammers' former boss Sam Allarydce likely to relish taking on his ex-charges.

Final Score: West Ham 0-5 Manchester City (Touré 33' pen, Nordtveit 41' og, Silva 43', Agüero 50', Stones 84')