TheSportsCampus

The Worlds Favourite Playground

Sunday, Oct 24th

Last update:06:27:22 AM GMT

Headlines:
You are here: Football FIFA World Cup Who will join Costa Rica in the knockout rounds of the World Cup from Group D?

Who will join Costa Rica in the knockout rounds of the World Cup from Group D?

User Rating: / 0
PoorBest 

D stands for death at this year’s World Cup in Brazil as Group D has turned out to be more of death knell for England than initially envisaged. At the start of the Tournament, one expected one among England, Uruguay and Italy to be knocked out from the group stages, but as it turns out giant killers Costa Rica have already qualified with 6 points from the group and knocked out England, leaving Uruguay and Italy to battle for the final qualifying spot with both teams on 3 points each.

Winner takes all in that pivotal World Cup game on the 24th of June, but a draw would see Italy progress due to their slightly superior goal difference. Betegy predicts that 2006 Champions Italy have a better chance to progress with a 35 percent chance of winning while the odds of winning are heavily stacked against Uruguay at 29 percent. With a 36 percent chance of a draw as per the predictions, the odds are highly in favour of the Azzurri qualifying as they have a 71 percent chance to progress overall, taking all 3 possible results into consideration.

Now to the England Vs Costa Rica game, which is being perceived by many as a dead-rubber, also has a bit of significance for the Central American side as they must avoid a heavy defeat to progress as group toppers. Surprisingly enough, England are favourites to go out with a bang in Brazil, having the Three Lions at a 40 percent win rate. Despite having beaten two of the World’s top 10 teams in Uruguay and Italy, Costa Rica are said to have a mere 27 percent chance of winning. The odds in favour of a draw are 33 percent.

TSC Predictions:

Despite Italy’s superior goal difference, Uruguay’s Suarez factor, which played a big part in their win against England, may just work in favour of the South American side. We back the Uruguayans to steal it at the end with a slender 2-1 margin.

Costa Rica's result depends largely on the team they put out, with their second string unit unlikely to be as potent as their first string and the result largely depending on who plays for both sides in that game.