|< Prev||Next >|
Brendan Rodgers has backed his club stating that star striker Luis Suarez will not be sold this summer, reported the Express. The Liverpool coach assured the restive fans that the Uruguayan was going to remain at Anfield ‘unless something drastic happens’. These statements follow reports that Arsenal were preparing a mammoth £35m to bring the striker to Emirates.
"Luis Suarez is a wonderful player and he is still very much a Liverpool player," said Rodgers. "Luis is a very important member of this squad and I am looking forward to working with him again this season after he had such a fantastic season. There has been lots of speculation about Luis moving to another club but, as I said, he is very much a Liverpool player,” added the former Swansea coach.
Real Madrid, Arsenal and Chelsea are currently locked in a three way battle for the services of the forward and Arsenal had gone one step ahead and submitted an official inquiry of £30m for Suarez, only to have the bid rejected.
The player himself has stated earlier that he is not happy with his life on Merseyside, claiming the British press as the main offender for his difficulties at Anfield. Though this was interpreted as just an excuse to switch to Los Blancos, either way the message remained the same. Suarez does not want to be a Red next season.
However Brendan Rodgers will certainly fight doggedly for a player who was his team’s talisman last season. Scoring 23 goals and bagging 5 assists, Suarez led from the front at Liverpool and though his appearances were shortened to just 33 following a 10 match ban for his bite on Ivanovic (which is yet to be completed) the forward finished as the second highest scorer in the Premier League.
- 19/07/2013 11:32 - Mourinho: "No chance" of Mata, Luiz or Ivanovic leaving
- 19/07/2013 09:19 - Premier League Transfer Rumours: July 19, 2013
- 18/07/2013 23:52 - Chelsea plan shock contingency if Rooney is a bust, and Arsenal won't like it