|< Prev||Next >|
Man City finally appoint Pellegrini
After having already confirmed the signings of Jesus Navas from Sevilla and Fernandinho from Shakhtar Donetsk, Manchester City have now confirmed the appointment of Manuel Pellegrini as their new manager. The Chilean will join the Etihad outfit on a three year deal and will start in an official capacity on June 24. Though the rumours of the appointment have been doing the rounds since Mancini’s sacking it’s only now that the club has reached a formal agreement with the former Real Madrid manager. Manchester City fans will hope that the experienced coach can bring back the Premier league title to the blue half of Manchester and also maybe win that elusive European trophy. (read more)
Keswick appointed as the new Arsenal chairman
Sir Chips Keswick was appointed as the new Arsenal chairman following Peter Hill-wood’s resignation from the post. Hill-wood who stepped down due to health concerns has held the post of chairman since 1982. Keswick, 73, has been a member of the board since 2005 and will work closely with Chief Executive Ivan Gazidis. Keswick’s appointment breaks a long line of Hill-wood dynasty as the family has held the post since 1927. (read more)
Owen Coyle is the new Wigan boss
After the departure of Roberto Martinez to Everton, Wigan Athletic have appointed former Bolton coach Owen Coyle as their new coach. Despite their glorious FA cup triumph, Wigan were relegated from the Premier League last season. Now the team are facing the fact that they are going to lose many of their star players to other clubs. Owen Coyle was chosen to take charge of the club ahead of former England coach Steve McLaren and will have to contend with the club’s European commitments too as Wigan get ready to feature in the Europa League for the first time in their history.
Cavani ‘secretly’ desires to play for Madrid
Edinson Cavani has been linked to almost every top club in Europe this summer and seems to have finally made his decision regarding his transfer destination. According to a report in the Daily Mail, Cavani’s dad, Luis, revealed that his son has told the family that he wishes to play for Real Madrid and would turn down all chances of joining other top European clubs if possible as there can be nothing bigger in football than playing for Los Blancos. The player’s father also stated the difficulties in negotiating a transfer as Napoli do not wish to budge from their £54 million valuation of Cavani.
Atletico Madrid are the latest to express interest in troubled Chelsea striker Fernando Torres, after reports surfaced that El Nino was being sought after by Spanish powerhouse Barcelona. Torres had previously enjoyed a successful 6 year stint with the Atletico Madrid senior team, after coming through it’s youth system. Madrid are on the lookout for an established striker after having sold Radamel Falcao to Monaco in the summer. Torres still commands great respect among the Atletico faithful and talks are underway to secure a move to his boyhood club. (read more)
Modric wants Bale at Madrid
Real Madrid playmaker Luka Modric has spoken out regarding his admiration for ex-teammate Gareth Bale and has expressed confidence that the Welshman could be an important addition to the squad at the Santiago Bernabeu. Modric becomes the second Real player to commence the club’s unofficial unsettling exercise, a crucial tool in getting players to leave their clubs these days. Speaking to Marca, the Croatian said: “If he [Gareth] ends up at Real Madrid that can only be good for us. As Real Madrid is a team of stars, Bale would fit perfectly... [He] is the type of player who could help us take a step forward.” (read more)
Blues join the race to bag Robert Lewandowski
Chelsea have entered the race for hot property Robert Lewandowski joining the long list of clubs who are in a scrap to get the Polish forward’s signature according to the Daily Express. Lewandowski announced himself to the world at Euro 2012 when he put in excellent performances for Poland. The forward who has 17 goals and 53 caps for his country has a big task ahead of him to select a club for next year among a long list of prospective destinations. Jose Mourinho, who was at the receiving edge of Lewandowski’s charge during the semifinals of the Champions League, will want to prevent facing the Polish international again by bringing him to Stamford Bridge. (read more)
Now PSG want Luiz?
QIA backed big spending Ligue 1 Champions Paris Saint-Germain are reported to have turned their attention towards Stamford Bridge. The Paris club have joined Barcelona in the race to bag Chelsea’s Brazilian defender David Luiz according to reports in the Daily Mirror. 26 year old Luiz is a favourite among the officials in West London and is a favourite of owner Roman Abramovich, but manager Jose Mourinho sees the Brazilian as a cause of worry and wishes to offload him soon.
John Obi Mikel agrees to Galatasaray move?
Galatasaray seemingly have an attractive offer waiting for John Obi Mikel, to lure him to join the Turks. Mikel, as reported by the Mirror, has agreed to move out of Chelsea after his 7 year tenure. Mikel has been an integral part of the central midfield along with Michael Essien, ever since his controversial arrival to the club. If this rumour turns out to be true, the 'Special One' has to search for a holding midfielder with much more vigour than before.
Big Spending Monaco eyeing Hulk
The French Ligue 2 Champions are out to agitate the Stamford Bridge faithful once again after stealing Colombian star Radamel Falcao from right under their noses. Now they appear to be sizing up a massive bid for the Brazilian Bruce Banner according to the Metro. Chelsea are looking to sign up Hulk and finish their search for an ideal striker, one who can play in tandem with Belgian youngster Romelu Lukaku. A transfer out of Russia seems to be very likely with Hulk being very uncomfortable in Zenit. The Russian club are sure to ask for a massive fee, as they try to get back as much of the £40 million they paid for him to Portuguese Champions, Porto.
Tottenham turn to Paulinho
North London club Tottenham Hotspur have turned their attention towards Corinthians midfielder Paulinho after being handed over a firm denial by Serie A side Inter Milan for Fredy Guarin. According to reports in the Metro, Spurs might be ready to table a bid of £14.5 million to bring the 24 year old to White Hart Lane this summer. Paulinho, who has also been linked to Chelsea, Inter Milan and AS Roma, is being seen as a potential replacement for Scott Parker by Tottenham.
Pogba to stay at Juve
It seems despite all the obvious attention from the shores of England, Paul Pogba is determined to stay on and improve his stay. The Italian giants were the first to give him his first real break, and now Pogba is returning the favour by staying loyal to his fans at Turin. Arsenal and Manchester City were reported to have shown interest in the 20 year old midfielder, but after Pogba’s latest comment it is unlikely that he is going anywhere. Pogba told French newspaper Le Parisien, “I'm good at Juventus, so now I'm focusing on the Under-20 World Cup," going on to add, “there's nothing new about my future. I will certainly stay with Juventus." (read more)
The Guardiola effect? Pep wants Thiago at Munich
Manchester United’s pursuit of La Masia graduate Thiago Alcantara could be in vain, as Pep Guardiola is trying to lure his former protégé to Bayern Munich instead. The Barcelona midfielder’s release clause has dropped to a tantalizing 18 million euros after the club weren’t able to field him for a prerequisite number of games. Now the question remains whether the Catalan prodigy choose first team football at Old Trafford or decides to reunite with his former boss at Allianz Arena. (read more)
Marchisio proud of Red Devils link
Juventus midfielder Claudio Marchisio has expressed pride on being linked to Manchester United, but has denied receiving a formal offer from the club. The 27 year old, who was identified by Sir Alex Ferguson as a potential summer target to fill in the void at the centre of the park, was quoted telling Gazetta dello Sport: “There are things to be proud of, but I am not sure if they are true. I have not heard from anyone at Manchester United...” (read more)
Pellegrini to City done and Isco to City is almost done
Manchester City have completed the signing of ex Malaga manager, Manuel Pellegrini, and if reports in the Daily Mail are to be believed, they look set to poach the Spanish club’s brightest talent also. Isco, the Spanish U21 star, has been identified by Pellegrini as a major transfer target. The presence of Pellegrini has helped City, reportedly, to move ahead of Real Madrid in the race to sign Isco. The Spanish youngster truly grew as a player under the Chilean manager last season and would thus fancy a reunion more than fighting for a place at Madrid all the time.
Inter hope to lure Kolarov with promise of regular football
Manchester City defender Aleksander Kolarov might take another shot at plying his trade in Italy. The former Lazio man has Serie A side Inter Milan hot on his trail following reports that the Serb is getting frustrated with a lack of first team chances. The Nerazzurri might hope to lure him with promises of regular football but the downside in the deal might be a pay cut for the 27 year old according to TalkSPORT.
Liverpool looking to table £20 million bid for Mkhitaryan
Liverpool might consider tabling a massive £20 million bid for Shakhtar Donetsk midfielder Henrikh Mkhitaryan according to the Telegraph. The Armenian might be the first major signing of the season for the Merseyside club and could prove to be a significant coup for Coach Brendan Rodgers, who does not have Champions League football in his incentives’ kitty this summer. A signing of thus magnitude might also be utilised to convince Luiz Suarez to stay at Anfield next season, the chances of which look otherwise pretty bleak.
City interested in Lazio defender Stefan Radu
Manchester City are reported to be considering making a move for Lazio defender Stefan Radu and might table a £12 million bid for the Romanian according to reports in the Daily Mail. The Citizens are looking to offload their defensive duo of Joleon Lescott and Aleksander Kolarov and would need a strong replacement to grace their backline. Radu, however, is an important first team player for the Serie A side and they wouldn’t be willing to let go of him for cheap with the club looking to squeeze at least £15 million out of the deal.
No Way Jose Rumours
Borussia Monchengladbach deny interest in Nicklas Bendtner
Estranged Arsenal forward Nicklas Bendtner might soon have a shortage of suitors. The Big Dane has been rejected by Bundesliga outfit Borussia Monchengladbach. Just days after reports emerged that the forward could ply his trade somewhere else after getting the cold shoulder from Arsenal and had a host of suitors hot on his trail, Monchengladbach scout Ove Flindt-Bjerg was quoted telling Bild: "We do not look for the type of player like Bendtner." (read more)
No Villa for Gunners and Spurs, says Barca President
Barcelona President Sandro Rosell has come out to rubbish all talks of a possible departure of David Villa this season. The 49 year old was quoted in the Express as having said: "Until somebody says the opposite, David Villa will remain a Barcelona player." Rosell’s words would spell disappointment for Arsenal and Tottenham fans around the globe, with both the North London clubs keen on acquiring the signature of the 31 year old forward to bolster their attack.
And finally… Aspas deal for Liverpool hits a roadblock
Seems like the saga is not yet over. Liverpool announced yesterday that they had signed Spanish forward Iago Aspas in principle but now according to reports in the Mirror, it appears that the player’s transfer has stalled due to the presence of unauthorized agents in the transfer proceedings. Aspas, apart from his FIFA licensed agents, hired Barcelona based agency PromoEsport to push his transfer through to Liverpool and the club’s MD, Ian Ayre, continued negotiations with the agency even though he knew that they were not the official representatives of the player. This did not go down well with the Spanish FA and now they are refusing to release Aspas’s International Transfer Certificate. This would mean, that even though the player can train and appear as a Red in media events, he will not be allowed to play any official match for Liverpool.
- 15/06/2013 13:29 - German club reject opportunity to sign Arsenal striker
- 15/06/2013 11:25 - Chelsea looking to add ‘Polish’ to their attack
- 15/06/2013 10:38 - Bayern to challenge Man United for Spanish youngster