The Worlds Favourite Playground

Thursday, Aug 25th

Last update:02:15:29 PM GMT

You are here: Others Rugby Wallabies beat England 20-14 to reclaim the Cook Cup

Wallabies beat England 20-14 to reclaim the Cook Cup

User Rating: / 0

The Qantas Wallabies have registered a hard fought, come from behind victory against England at Twickenham, running out six-point winners, 14-20. The Qantas Wallabies entered half time down by just three points and kept the home side scoreless in the second half to reclaim the Cook Cup and register a well-deserved win in front of more than 81,000 passionate English supporters.

While both sides registered a try a-piece it was three unanswered penalty goals to Qantas Wallabies fullback, Berrick Barnes, that proved the difference between the two sides.

Four minutes into the second half and it was the boot of Barnes that drew Australia level with the English after he secured his second penalty goal of the game. Six minutes later and the visitors took the lead again thanks to the boot of Barnes, who put the Qantas Wallabies further ahead with his fourth penalty goal of the Test just three minutes later.

The Qantas Wallabies had the chance to push their lead beyond seven-points in the 66th minute, however Barnes saw his penalty goal attempt fall tantalisingly short of the crossbar to leave England with an opportunity to steal the match.

For the remaining 20-minutes the English pushed hard at the Australian line turning down a number penalty goal opportunities instead opting to kick for touch in an attempt to secure seven points.

The Qantas Wallabies held firm though and kept the English out as wave after wave of England players threw themselves at the try line.

Despite a number promising attacks the English failed to penetrate the Australian defence, allowing the Qantas Wallabies to hold on to record a well-deserved victory at Twickenham.

Earlier in the night England registered first points when in the third minute fly half, Toby Flood, successfully converted his first of three penalty goal attempts for the half.

The visitors hit back 10 minutes later after Berrick Barnes took a drop goal opportunity following a number of unsuccessful thrusts at the English line.

Flood put England back in front in the 24th minute thanks to another penalty goal before Barnes levelled the scores at six-all in the 30th minute when he kicked Australia's first penalty goal.

Four minutes later England took the lead again, thanks to the boot of Flood and their third penalty goal.

Despite the score-line it was the Qantas Wallabies who were making all the running and in the 35th minute Qantas Wallabies winger, Nick Cummins, crossed for his maiden Test try and his sides first of the evening.

The try came following a box kick from England was taken by Australia 10-meters inside their own half and the decision taken to run it back at the home side.

A number of good passes and a sniping run by scrumhalf, Nick Phipps, saw Cummins released down the far wing to cross for a try to give the Qantas Wallabies the lead.

The Qantas Wallabies joy and lead was short lived after England regained the ball from the resulting kick-off and after a number of phases, and the decision to take a quick tap from a penalty, crossed for a five-pointer of their own just four minutes later.

As well as re-claiming the Cook Cup for the first time in over three years the win also provides the Qantas Wallabies with the first psychological victory ahead of the highly anticipated 2013 British & Irish Lions Tour to Australia.