|< Prev||Next >|
World No. 3 Rafael Nadal has withdrawn from Rogers Cup due to injury. Following his defeat at the hands of Lukasz Rosol at Wimbledon, Rafa has not played any competitive tennis, withdrawing from a promotional event in Madrid and then from the Olympics last month due to his ongoing battle with his knees.
"Coming to Toronto is always one of the highlights of my season so I'm very disappointed that I can't play there this year," said Nadal. "I was planning on coming to Toronto and did everything I could to be ready but I still need some more time to recover."
This will be the first time since his debut appearance in 2004 that Nadal will miss the Canadian Masters 1000 event.
"Rafa is one of the fan favourites here and has always been a great supporter of our tournament," said Rogers Cup tournament director Karl Hale. "We're obviously disappointed that he won't be in Toronto this year but we wish him a speedy recovery so he can return to the Tour as soon as possible."
Additional main draw withdrawals as of Thursday are David Ferrer (Spain), Gael Monfils (France) and Fernando Verdasco (Spain).
While the Rogers Cup continues to be a major draw, one can't help but be concerned that its proximity to the Olympics may result in a few more withdrawals with top players like Roger Federer, Novak Djokovic and Andy Murray all progressing to the semi-finals in London.
- 05/08/2012 20:18 - Chang to replace injured Agassi from Legends Night at Rogers Cup
- 04/08/2012 23:54 - Djokovic - Del Potro set for another showdown at Rogers Cup, Murray - Raonic likely third rounder
- 03/08/2012 23:37 - Federer joins Nadal on Rogers Cup withdrawal list